Staying healthy on your holidays 

Holidays are a time for relaxation and fun. The problem is that you will often be tempted to overindulge in both food and drink, and that could end up making you ill. There are other reasons you could become unwell. Things like water or ear infections, or local products that do not agree with you, and upset your stomach can all cause issues.

Staying healthy on your holidays

If you want to stay healthy while you are away, these few tips might help you to achieve that.

Watch The Alcohol Intake

Most people drink more alcohol than usual when they are on holiday, but that doesn’t mean you have to get drunk every night.  Alcohol is a diuretic that will contribute to dehydration, which on its own can make you feel ill. No one wants to stop you having fun, but too much alcohol can ruin your day.

It’s too easy when you are with a group of people to keep filling your glass with more wine, or whatever it is you are drinking. But before you do that every single day, think of the possible consequences.

Don’t Have Too Many Treats

It is only natural that while you are on holiday, you will eat out more often than usual, and this will probably include extra junk food too. Treats are great and part of the holiday, but make sure you eat plenty of healthy foods as well. You should try to stick to the 80/20 rule while you are away. That is 80% a good diet, and the other 20% anything that takes your fancy. This will allow you to have some treats, while keeping your diet healthier overall.

Sea Bass at Ikos Olivia

This is easier than it may sound. If you are eating buffet style, opt for the things that are good for you, and when you eat in restaurants, they all have healthy choices you can pick. Even the fast food takeaways have salads and other healthy options these days.

Drink More Water

Drinking more water can assist your body to cope with the extra food and alcohol you are consuming. It will keep your body hydrated, which makes it work more efficiently. Don’t wait until you are thirsty as that is not a good sign, and could show you are beginning to dehydrate. No matter what else you are drinking, try to fit 7 or 8 glasses of water into your day.

Ikos Excursion

The water will also help to stave off the effects of alcohol, so you may drink quite a bit one evening, but will not feel so drunk and out of control.

Stay Active

You will want to relax while you are on holiday, but you should make an effort to be active as well. Try to include activities as part of your fun time. Activities such as swimming and walking are great, and it’s often a good idea to do them in the mornings before you start to do other things. Playing ball on the beach, or maybe dancing in the evenings can all help with the exercise you need. And just think how many calories you can burn off in a pedalo.

Pedalo at Ikos Olivia

Exercise is good for your mental health as well as your physical health, and can help to keep off a few of the extra pounds that most holidaymakers gain.

Get Treatment

You do not have to let minor ailments spoil your holiday. If you think you may have a water infection, for example, you can get treatment for cystitis online. You can have a consultation with a doctor online, and they will prescribe what medication you need. Within the UK, that is then dispensed by a pharmacy and delivered to wherever you are staying.

Use Sunscreen

Don’t be fooled by a breeze and slight chill. If the sun is out, it can burn you. The problem is that if there is some wind, you may not realise that the damage has been done until you get home and see yourself in a mirror. In fact, the sun during cooler weather often does more damage, because people think they don’t need to protect themselves. This is not the case. You should always use sunscreen when the sun is shining, and even on warmer, cloudy days.

The whole point of a holiday is to recharge your batteries, and to give your body and mind a break from the stresses of everyday life. You don’t then want more stress because you are unwell, so take care of yourself while you are away and have a happy holiday.

*Colloborative post*

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation